There is a difference between being content with who we are and being content with what we have. We're supposed to be content with what we have (Hebrews 13:5) but not remain content with who we are (2 Peter 3:18; Ephesians 4:15).
I struggle with both of these.
As a gender specific man I struggle with who I am. I struggle specifically with change — whether outside of me (e.g., when the furniture gets moved, or more insidiously when the silverware is moved) or inside of me (I'm fine, right?). It's easier to find problems with others, and more entertaining. To make real change in oneself is something we should strive for — whether prompted by Michael Jackson's "Main in the Mirror," or the word of God.
And, as I said above, I struggle with contentment with the things I have — rather, the things I don't have.
Recently I read of someone who was also struggling with being content with their possessions: her advice was radical — stop window shopping. What?! In this age of keeping up with pretend people on TV and the Internet, I'm supposed to simply stop window shopping (AKA wishing, dreaming, wasting oodles of time)?
Yep, I know, loco!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Discouragement
Discouragement is real. And when we’re going through discouraging times, pep talks aren’t as welcome—but we need them anyway. Sometimes we...
-
September 11, 2016, marks the fifteenth anniversary of 9/11. “What separates us from the animals, what separates us from the chaos, is ou...
-
Take care then how you hear, for to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he thinks that he ha...
-
And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will h...
No comments:
Post a Comment