As a preacher I approach the pulpit with trepidation. There really is never a time that I am asked or expected to preach that I do not approach it with trepidation. It's not because I'm unprepared: it's because I know that I am not worthy to be preaching. It's not just that "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). I have sinned, and do sin.
Yes, I ask forgiveness from God for the sins I have committed, but this still does not make me full worthy of preaching. As the apostle Paul put it, "For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe" (1 Cor. 1:21).
Nearly every Sunday morning I wake up tired because I don't sleep well the night before I preach. Gospel meeting weeks are especially tough because this cycle becomes the daily routine.
I am not complaining. I am stating what happens and why.
I am very thankful for the privilege afforded me by brothers and sisters in providing for me financially so that I can dedicate full time efforts into this important task. And I am thankful to God who created me with these abilities.
I pray today I use them to His name's honor and glory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Discouragement
Discouragement is real. And when we’re going through discouraging times, pep talks aren’t as welcome—but we need them anyway. Sometimes we...
-
September 11, 2016, marks the fifteenth anniversary of 9/11. “What separates us from the animals, what separates us from the chaos, is ou...
-
Take care then how you hear, for to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he thinks that he ha...
-
And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will h...
No comments:
Post a Comment